There is always a push to “shop local” during the holiday season, but many businesses rely on support from community members throughout the year, especially during a tough time like our current pandemic.
There are several reasons some people can’t support local businesses right now. Maybe they are on a budget, quarantined, or just don’t have the time to make a trip downtown to visit a shop or restaurant. There are MANY ways to support local businesses, though, even if one of these reasons applies to you.
WAYS TO SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES (FOR FREE!)
- Like their social media pages
- Invite friends to like their pages
- Like, comment on & share their posts
- Tag a friend in their posts
- Post a photo of something you bought from them
- Leave them a positive review
- Subscribe to their newsletter
- Tell a friend or co-worker about them
- Send them a thoughtful message or note of encouragement
- Become familiar with organizations that support businesses (such as chambers of commerce, main street programs, and retail associations) & share these organizations’ posts, too
- Be patient when visiting — many businesses are short-staffed right now
- Stay home if you’re feeling sick
- Be respectful of their current guidelines
- Shop local throughout the year (not just holidays). When you need to buy something, ask yourself: “Can I find this locally?”
- Order takeout
- Buy a gift certificate
- Tip generously
- Continue paying for your memberships
Let’s work together to help local businesses not just survive, but prosper and grow during this challenging time!
How do you support local businesses? Comment below.
Header photo taken by Bright Ideas Photography.